This month’s Birchbox was themed around the new year and included a fold-out poster with self-improvement tips, which I mostly ignored (the other side of the poster was actually pretty cute! See below).
Inside I had 5 samples, of which I have only actually tested 4, because I take forever to try new hair products.
- Number 4 Clarifying Shampoo: see above shameful admission
- Caudalie Vinexpert Radiance Day Cream SPF 15: this was nice but nothing stellar, I don’t normally wear day cream so this isn’t something I would purchase.
- Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner: Eyeko used to have a similarly packaged eyeliner that I used and loved despite the dysfunctional packaging. Pleased to see that the packaging has been improved and the eyeliner is just as good, if not better. See original review here.
- Aerie Shimmer Fragrance: I thought this was a tiny wrapped chocolate at first and was annoyed to see it was another fragrance sample. The most common complaint I hear about beauty sample boxes is that they contain too many fragrance samples and there’s basically no way to stop them. I wish someone would make this an option! Oh, and I wasn’t in love with the perfume, I thought it smelled mature in a bad way.
- Deborah Lippmann the Stripper To Go: this single-serve packet contained a tiny finger mitt pre-soaked with polish remover. It did a great job of removing polish (as good or better than my beloved Zoya Remove+), but I was concerned about soaking my index finger with remover for several minutes while I worked on the other nails. Probably wouldn’t purchase, but it is a good product.